A few early thoughts on today’s’ deal on Climate change at the UN talks in Lima with some initial thoughts inserted.
According to sources the highlights are
The agreed document calls for:
- An “ambitious agreement” in 2015 that reflects “differentiated responsibilities and respective capabilities” of each nation
- Meaningless gibberish – all this means is the the protagonists next year will be able to argue over interpretation and thereby stall any progress.
- Developed countries to provide financial support to “vulnerable” developing nations
- Who, how, where, what, and when? Hopeless.
- National pledges to be submitted by the first quarter of 2015 by those states “ready to do so”
- In other words those that don’t want to don’t have to
- Countries to set targets that go beyond their “current undertaking”
- Adding a little more to bugger all is still bugger all
- The UN climate change body to report back on the national pledges in November 2015
- This’ll be fun (note the hint of sarcasm).
And I thought the Smith Commission Report was poor – in comparison to this – the SCR is a triumph of hope over adversity.